There are a couple of IP addresses used as default address of routers and ADSL modems. 192.168.1.254 is one of them, used by several router and modem brands. Although not so common as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, there are several models available that use this default IP address.
Here you will see how to use this default IP address to access the configuration page of your router or modem in order to set up and change any network settings you may want. Let’s do it!
How to login in 192.168.1.254
All you need to enter your router or modem configuration page is a PC or any other device connected to the wifi network. If your device has an ethernet input, it is recommended to use it to establish a wired connection to the router/modem.
Once you are connected, you can type the default IP address 192.168.1.254 on your internet browser. Then it’s done! You will see a login page requesting the admin and password data. Just fill in (or not, if you have problems for login see the next session) and the configuration panel will be available for you.
Some settings that can be changed on the configuration page are:
- DNS and Proxy,
- System administration setting
- LAN, WAN and WLAN (WiFi),
- Protocols settings
- Virtual NAT server
- DMZ, IP and QoS.
Some brands that use the 192.168.1.254 as default address of some router’s models are:
Note that each brand has a lot of different modems and routers models. Depending on the model you purchased, the default IP address may be different from 192.168.1.254.
Problems with password and admin
If you do not remember your password and admin data for logging in the router’s configuration panel, you have two options:
- Try the default admin and password for your router or modem;
- If you look up on your router’s brand support website or manual, you will very likely to find the standard password and admin used for entering the configuration panel. Also, you can find here a list of the standard login information of all router’s manufacturers. Find your router brand and give a try to the default login information.
- Reset the device for the factory original settings, and then use the default admin and password.
- In case the original data were updated and you do not know what they are, the only option is to reset the router to the factory original standards. To do that, press and hold the reset button on your device (wait for a dozen seconds at least with the button pressed). After that you can try to login again using the default password. This time it will work for sure.
Now you know what it is and what to do with the standard 192.168.1.254 IP address. If your modem is produced by one the brands mentioned on our list, it is likely that you will use this address to access the router’s panel and set up your network preferences.