Verizon Communications Inc. is an north american holding of the telecommunication sector. It provides telecom services for more than two hundred million clients around dozens of countries. If you are included among these millions of clients, it is very possible that you use one of the Verizon routers or modems for your internet network.
This article is made for Verizon clients (or any person using a Verizon router) that want to login on the configuration page of the device in order to change the router and network settings.
How to login on Verizon router ?
Login on your router is important for changing the device password to a safer one and also for managing your network settings. On Verizon’s routers like the MI424WR (and all others) the steps you should perform are:
- Connect to the wifi network or directly to the router directly by means of an ethernet cable. The last option is the better one.
- Launch a web browser like google chrome or internet explorer.
- Enter http://192.168.1.1 on the browser’s address field. This is the Verizon router default IP address.
- You will see the login page requesting your credentials. The default admin is The default password for Verizon routers is sticked on the device itself and you can check it out (see the next session for details). A common security measure of Verizon routers is to include additional characters as you enter the password. In this way the exact number of characters is hidden.
- After entering the right credentials you will be logged in. Now you can manage your preferences, including changing your password to a stronger and safer one.
Notes on Verizon routers
On Verizon routers, when you do not change the router’s password on the first time you set up the device, the password is automatically changed to the router’s serial number. This is a security measure that most routers manufacturers do not offer. The serial number can be easily found on a label affixed to the bottom or back part of your device.
Most router’s providers just use a default password for the routers. Usually these passwords are available on the company’s website or can be very easily found on lists on the internet. With the Verizon routers, you will have a safer password in a way or another (or you will set up a new one when you configure the network for the first time or the password will be the serial number).
A common situation is when a user change the password (as it is expected) when the network is setted up for the first time and….forget it. In this case the only option is to reset the router to the factory original settings and reconfigure the network (inserting a new password during the configuration or letting it be the serial number).
To reset the router to the original factory settings, you need to hold the reset button on the bottom part of the device for around ten seconds. After that, set up your network from beginning and choose a new password or let ir be changed to the serial number.